Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Test Tutorial - "Digital Camo"

Well, I came upon this link today:

http://kamm-mecha.com/mechaloungeforums/index.php?topic=285.0

And I figured I'd give it a try:

I used an old crow vehicle I had sitting around that had already been painted in a light blue/gray with a wash...


First I laid out two strips of masking tape, then I used my exacto to slice them in half long-ways and then into 1/4 inch sections.  After that I used my tweezers to place the cut rectangles on my vehicle in a fairly random pattern:





After most of the first layer is on:


Normally I'd use an airbrush, but it was late at night and my wife and baby were sleeping, so I just used a paintbrush.  I basically heavy dabbed the paint on as not to move the masking layers.  Here is the second coat:


Applying the second masking layer:


Painting the top, and darkest, color...


Removing the masking after letting it dry for a while.


And after a quick highlight and some simple details picked out:


I'm actually really happy how it turned out.  Not too "clean" but it actually works well.  When I get some more details painted and some decals i'm sure it will look great!  

Any comments of suggestions are always welcome!