And I figured I'd give it a try:
I used an old crow vehicle I had sitting around that had already been painted in a light blue/gray with a wash...
First I laid out two strips of masking tape, then I used my exacto to slice them in half long-ways and then into 1/4 inch sections. After that I used my tweezers to place the cut rectangles on my vehicle in a fairly random pattern:
After most of the first layer is on:
Normally I'd use an airbrush, but it was late at night and my wife and baby were sleeping, so I just used a paintbrush. I basically heavy dabbed the paint on as not to move the masking layers. Here is the second coat:
Applying the second masking layer:
Painting the top, and darkest, color...
Removing the masking after letting it dry for a while.
And after a quick highlight and some simple details picked out:
I'm actually really happy how it turned out. Not too "clean" but it actually works well. When I get some more details painted and some decals i'm sure it will look great!
Any comments of suggestions are always welcome!